This manual will help you to activate Apple CarPlay / Android Auto with Mib2 units.
Supported units with firmware starting from:
Do not supported:
- HN+ / HN+R / Hnav / Bnav (for those units we do have external Apple CarPlay / Android Auto boxes)
- MH2S / MHIG / MENT / MSTD
- MMI 2G High (we do have external box which enable Apple CarPlay / Android Auto)
If you don’t know how to check, please visit this page (click)
Car must have two USB ports in glovebox / armrest compartment. If your car doesn’t have you must equip otherwise CarPlay / Android Auto will not working!
You can skip this, if you have two USB ports.
- The two USB ports you can find here
- Remove central console (youtube tutorial how to do that)
- Remove the rear vents – no philosophy. We pry it from the side and it pops up
- Remove the glove box: we disassemble the side of the console, a few screws + disconnect the cube
- Remove the cover under the steering wheel, disassemble the left side of the console, four screws and it’s ready
- Remove the cover at the post
- Then the bonnet opening handle:
- To finally remove the sill cover
We run the cables as in the attached instructions. Two with dice for the multimedia unit, single for the left side. The red one is plugged into the fuse box in the side of the console, the brown one is best caught at the ground point under the carpet under the removed sill cover, pink optional as we want to have a backlight for the electric module, T54c cube (smallest) pin 1 (pins are numbered in cubes).
It’s important to make a firmware update, newest firmwares means more stable Apple CarPlay / Android Auto!
Here is the list of the supported firmwares. Make sure you choose correct! Again, if you don’t know what’s your current firmware, please check this manual (click).
Supported firmware versions
Only those firmware are supported by script. If you don’t have that firmware, you need to update first.
Europe / Australia & New Zealand / Middle East / RoW / Singapore / South Africa
- MHI2_ER_AU57x_K3663 – this one have already included Apple CarPlay / Android auto!
USA / Canada
firmware update it’s quite easy and looks very similar to MMI 3G, there’s a manual how to update firmware (on schemes looks on to Mib schemes).
Prepare SD with script
First of all you need to get script, you can download it from here (click).
After downloading please unpack Mib2Patch.zip
Now prepare SD CARD.
I do recommend to use at least 8GB SD (script require smaller, but not every MMI want to read it).
Make sure you have formatted SD CARD as FAT32!!
Now go to the unpacked folder and you will see list like here:
Select all files and copy directly on to SD CARD. Make sure when you enter your SD you will see all above files directly on to SD – they cannot be in any parent folder.
and can jump to the car 🙂
How to install script
When you enter to your car, start your car and wait 5 to 10 minutes to all systems go up.
Insert SD in to Slot1 – script should start automatically within 60 seconds.
Unit will reboot into FW update (SWDL) mode.
The unit might briefly display a message on screen notifying you that the system is not (yet) ready for installation or is preparing installation.
This is normal, just wait for the reboot.
⚠️ Do NOT remove SD card
Screen will go black and you will see the boot screen, as well as some update relates screens for a while.
Overall process will take about 5-10 minutes.
Basic unit backup will already be created during installation of M.I.B.
After installation is finished you will see a summary of the installed packages, all completed will be marked Y(es) (only Launcher in case of M.I.B install).
- Go back on that screen/exit the screen.
- The next Screen will present something like this: “Start diagnostic tester: Main unit/version…”.
- Press CANCEL
You might notice a Software Version Management Error (SVM) in 5F via OBD after M.I.B is installed. Remove it by running “SVM fix” function in this script.
How to enter to the new hidden menu
After M.I.B installation is finished and the unit has booted up you have to enter GEM.
Please note: GEM needs a moment after cold boot of unit to be accessible – up to 5 minutes are normal
Use the GEM key combinations valid for your unit to enter GEM.
In next screen enter “mib” and first create a backup! Enter the backup tab and follow the instructions.
Then IFS-root patch -> Flash patched image – the unit should reboot after completion, so we enter the green menu again – select M.I.B. and then Patch IFS-Root-AIO . Reboot the unit and the Android auto / Apple CarPlay should rock. The SD card can be removed.
The above unit patch drops the appropriate FEC code that will add lifetime map license in to your unit.
We do have map update for:
- Europe here
- ROW ( Argentina, Australia, Bahrain, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Indonesia, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lesotho, Malaysia, Mexico, Mozambique, Namibia, New Zealand, Oman, Philippines, Qatar, Reunion, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Swaziland, Thailand, Turkey*, United Arab Emirates, *partially) here
How to install map update manual available here (click)
Apple CarPlay / Android Auto works only by wired, so you need to connect your phone on to the USB port (that’s why you need 2 USB, as it will work only on one of them!)